The Downey Arts Coalition is a non-profit California corporation, and tax-exempt under the IRS code section 501(c)(3). Our legal name is Downey Art League, the original Downey arts organization incorporated in 1968 and founded in 1955. See our Exempt Status (Click here)
We seek to present new opportunities for local artists to show their work, local theatre artists and musicians to perform, local poets to have a place to read, and local filmmakers to have a place to screen. For the community, we seek to provide new artistic experiences not commonly found in our area of Southeast LA County. Your donation can help bring some of our ideas to life.
It’s easy to donate via Paypal, sign up below.
Interested in Annual Membership? Click here to become an official member of our organization.
Make a Donation / Become a Sponsor:
Through past donations we have been able to produce exciting events such as:
- Landfill Harmonic free screening and art show at the Downey Theatre with Glennfest Film Festival
- Presentation of Roy Anthony Shabla’s huge 36 foot painting “Water Music” at the Downey Theatre
- DAC “Open House” artist networking mixers at Epic Lounge
- Artist booths at the Downey Rooftop Concert events
- Annual Dia De Los Muertos art show at the Downey Theatre Festival event
- Support of the new city choir, the Downey Master Chorale
- Fundraisers for the Downey Symphony Orchestra
- Make Music Downey, all-day music festival in June 2013-2015.
- Poetry Matters, monthly poetry nights since 2011, now at Stay Gallery 2nd Thursdays
- Defying Gravity, a play presented at the Columbia Memorial Space Center in 2013
- Art shows in conjunction with the Downey Symphony Orchestra concerts at the Downey Civic Theatre: The Red Violin, Lucky Number 7, Reflections, Rebirth, Dance & Movement and more
- Urban Acts Staged Reading Series, bringing new plays to 5 locations around town
- State of the Art: arts, crafts and arts information festival in 2013
- Local film screenings at the Epic Lounge: Balloonhead, Bumblebee Loves You, Sweet Nightmares
- Art on the Vine, monthly art shows which ran 2011 through 2013
We also hope to fund new initiatives in the future, including scholarships for Downey students entering college to major in the visual or performing arts.