The Downey Arts Coalition is a non-profit California corporation, and tax-exempt under the IRS code section 501(c)(3). We are the successor org of Downey Art League, the original Downey arts community organization incorporated in 1968 and founded in 1955. See our Exempt Status (Click here)
We seek to present new opportunities for local artists to show their work, local theatre artists and musicians to perform, local poets to have a place to read, and local filmmakers to have a place to screen. For the community, we seek to provide new artistic experiences not commonly found in our area of Southeast LA County. Your donation can help bring some of our ideas to life.
It’s easy to donate via Paypal, sign up below.
Interested in Annual Membership? Click here to become an official member of our organization.
Make a Donation / Become a Sponsor:
MILESTONES & EVENTS
- First meeting: February 26, 2011
- First art show: Art on the Vine, August 6, 2011 would run 1st saturdays for 12 months
- First poetry reading: November 18, 2011, ran monthly as Poetry Matters through 2017
- First historical display, Downey Children’s Theatre retrospective: March 31, 2012
- Urban Acts Staged Reading Series (4 plays): May-June, 2012 various locations
- Official merger with non-profit Downey Art League: June 26, 2012
- Four art demonstrations produced: Jorge Del Toro, Calixto Shibaja, Roy Anthony Shabla, Mike Ferguson 2012-2013
- First short film screening: BumblebeeLovesYou: August 19, 2012
- Staged reading Penney’s From Heaven local playwright, December 3012 at Stay Gallery
- Improv Comedy show toy drive, December 2012
- Movie Club monthly movies, January 2013 to …
- View from the Edge arts lecture series, four evenings, April-July 2013
- The Blasters concert at Epic Lounge, April 13, 2013
- State of the Art arts & information festival, April 28, 2013
- First Make Music Downey Festival: June 8, 2013
- First produced play, Defying Gravity by Jane Anderson: 3 shows September 20-22, 2013
- First Downey Civic Theatre art show Dia De Los Muertos: Nov 1, 2013
- Debut concert of Downey Master Chorale: Dec 21, 2013
- Improv Comedy show toy drive, December 2013
- Abstract sound + art performance ever in Downey, Babbel: January 25, 2014
- Short film screenings: Sweet Nightmares: January 26, 2014
- First collaboration with Downey Symphony Orchestra: Red Violin, Feb 1, 2014, then Home Sweet Earth in April 2014.
- Partnered with City of Downey for 2nd annual Make Music Downey, June 2014 at Civic Center
- Art shows for the 2014-2015 Downey Symphony season: Reflections, Rebirth
- Dia De Los Muertos art show at Downey Theatre, November 2014
- Short play Off Kilter at the Vic Joachim Smith with Downey Musem of Art: January 2015
- Downey Doodle-icious mural unveiled in Downtown Downey: February 9, 2015
- 3rd annual Make Music Downey in downtown Downey: June 2015
- DAC “Open House” events, three in 2015 with featured artists.
- Sponsor of Bill’s Shorts II live theatre short plays by local writers, August 2016
- Art Shows for the 2015-2016 Downey Symphony season: Dance & Movement, Tempest, Classical Elements
- Recipient of the City of Downey’s theatre usage grant, Landfill Harmonic event: Oct 23, 2015
- Partner with the City of Downey to present Stardust and Art Walk and Film Festival, October 2016
- Dia De Los Muertos art show with Downey Theatre October 2016
- Art shows for the 2016-2107 Downey Symphony season: Cosmic, Dreamscapes, Earth Recycled
- Sponsored by the Columbia Space Center to present the play Defying Gravity by Jane Anderson for 8 performances Apr 28-May 14, 2017
- Provided scholarships for 2 art students, from Downey and Warren High, $400, May 2017
- Recipient of the City of Downey’s theatre usage grant, GlennFest Film Festival Oct 1-7 2017, 14 free film screenings at Epic Lounge, Downey Theatre
- First Live Love Art event with artists, short film, live band, February 2018
- Art shows for the 2017-2018 Downey Symphony season: Music: The Art of Sound, The Masters, Metallic Reflections
- Recipient of the City of Downey’s theatre usage grant, GlennFest Film Festival 2018
- Provided scholarships to two art students at Downey and Warren High for 2017, 2018
We also hope to fund new initiatives in the future, and have an application process that projects can submit to us for support.